Neurotoxins are today’s modern approach to facial rejuvenation. With regular maintenance, neurotoxins like the popular procedures of Botox or Dysport help prevent forming or deepening of wrinkles that result from muscle movements.
Today, let’s learn more about neurotoxins and how these wrinkle relaxers provide you with that natural and more youthful look.
What is a Neurotoxin? How Can It Help with Facial Rejuvenation?
Neurotoxins like Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are injectables administered into the skin through small portions. This procedure temporarily relaxes facial muscles. While neurotoxins are primarily used to diminish facial wrinkles and creases, they are also used for several other concerns, including excessive sweating, chronic migraines, or neck and eye spasms.
Here are some of the critical facts you need to know about neurotoxins:
- Injected into the skin and muscles using fine needles
- Used for the prevention, reduction, and treatment of facial lines and wrinkles
- Full effects may take up to 1-2 weeks before ultimately showing
- Works by blocking nerve-to-muscle signals, also preventing muscle contraction
- The number of injections will be based on your muscle strength and treatment area size
Benefits of Neurotoxins for Facial Rejuvenation
- Approved by the FDA
- You can use it together with other cosmetic injectables
- Effective on all skin types and pigmentations
- Fast acting
- Little to no recovery time
- Long-lasting results up to four (4) months
- Quick treatment times
How Do Neurotoxins Work?
- Botulinum toxin injections temporarily inhibit signaling nerve cells specific to muscles, controlling their contraction. By doing so, facial movements are weakened, which causes fine lines and wrinkles.
- Once these particular muscles get weakened, you can still make facial expressions, but they can be less exaggerated compared to before.
- These toxin molecules start blocking the link between nerves and muscles within one minute of injection. Your results can be seen as early as seven (7) days, with a total impact of around 10-14 days.
- After 3-4 months, neurotoxins need to be repeated because new nerves sprout new connections to the muscles and regain regular activity. Our bodies will also naturally metabolize the specific product, beginning to break down over time.
- As communications to muscles start returning, any fine lines and wrinkles initially located in the treated area can reappear.
Uses of Neurotoxins
Neurotoxins primarily target dynamic wrinkles, which appear when facial muscles are used underneath the skin and allow us to make expressions. After years of moving our facial muscles through laughing, squinting, worrying, and other activities, the skin around our eyes and forehead starts developing deep lines and wrinkles, making us look much older or more tired than we are.
But here is the good news: Neurotoxins like Botox and Dysport injections are perfectly designed to relax particular muscles in the face that limit their contraction abilities.
Here are some of the common uses and treatment areas these wrinkle relaxers commonly address:
- Brow furrow lines between the eyebrows
- Bunny lines around the nasal area
- Crow’s feet
- Forehead lines
- Frown lines
- Strong lines between the mouth and chin
Most skin care centers and med spa clinics have a customizable range of non-surgical anti-aging treatments, which includes Botox, Dysport, Restylane, chemical peels, and Thermage. These procedures can meet all requirements and help you achieve all your desired aesthetic goals.
During in-depth consultations with skin experts and specialists, they can assess your lifestyle, desired goals, and skin concerns to help determine the perfect treatment for you and your particular skin needs.
Regular skin care regimens and maintenance at home can be necessary if you want great skin. Please don’t skip this essential step because it can be the make-or-break step that can significantly affect your facial rejuvenation using neurotoxins.
Types of Neurotoxins
Botox / Dysport / Xeomin
These popular neurotoxin procedures assist in the relaxation of pesky wrinkles, especially in the following areas of concern with the units suggested for that particular part:
- bunny lines (4-12 units)
- chin (6-12units)
- crow’s feet (12-30 units)
- forehead (8-20 units)
- glabella (11’s) (10-25 units)
- lip turn down (6-12 units)
Together with your doctor or healthcare provider, you can create a treatment plan that can leave you more refreshed and wrinkle-free. It would be best to consider age, gender, activity levels, damage from sun exposure, skin turgor, medical background and treatment history, and so much more. Remember that not everyone can be an ideal candidate, with the number of neurotoxins wildly varying.
Masseters / TMJ – (30 – 50 units)
This neurotoxin procedure is for people who brux or grind and those clenchers. Relaxing the large jaw muscles can also be a way to slim the face. Units may differ based on your desired effect.
Nasal Tip Flip, Nasal Flaring, Lip Flip, or Gummy Smile
As speaking for themselves, these neurotoxin procedures flip the tip of your nose or decrease flares, resulting in lifted tips with smiling. Treatments for lip flips and gummy smiles reduce the gums showing unwanted lip lines. These treatments can produce slightly fuller upper lips through muscle relaxation that turns your lips under and up, with varying units per patient.
Micro-tox for Skin Laxity and Under Eye Treatment
Specialty neurotoxins for those stubborn portions of the body with crepey skin, especially under the eyes, along the neck, and decolletage, are the targets for this procedure.
Nefertiti Neck Lift
Specialized tox injections using platysma target the depressor anguli oris (DAO) muscles of the face and neck lift and decrease the “turkey neck” look.
All Other Areas
Practitioners can also utilize neurotoxins in so many ways. Come up with personalized solutions to your most stubborn areas with the help of your doctor or healthcare provider.
Expectations from Appointments and Beyond
When your skincare expert, like your doctor or healthcare provider, determines that neurotoxins like Botox or Dysport are suitable treatments, you’ll need brief appointments to start fading your wrinkles. Your appointments are often simple and quick, but the session time may vary based on the following:
- Number of treatment sites needed
- Size of treatment sites required
- The severity of your wrinkles
To have that look for your skin, following neurotoxin treatments like Botox or Dysport can be alleviated with the following steps:
- Avoid taking hot baths or showers
- Avoid touching the treatment sites
- Limit heat exposure
- Refrain from doing strenuous exercise for the next 48 hours
- Refrain from smoking
- Use ice to reduce swelling
Final Thoughts on Neurotoxins
Neurotoxins can benefit you in many ways, especially for facial rejuvenation. Learn more about the appropriate neurotoxin for your particular skin concern to reap the optimal benefits you can have from these procedures. Contact your doctor or healthcare provider and discuss the perfect neurotoxin to help solve your skin issues.
Do you want to discover how neurotoxins can help you? Our wonderful friends at Studio Medical Aesthetics can help you today. Visit them now! https://studiomedicalaesthetics.com/